Monday, March 17, 2008

the famous rubix cube

My younger brother owns a rubix cube, and he has a huge fascination with it. He is always messing (twisting and turning) with it and he can solve it pretty fast after he bought a stupid book on how to solve it. They say people who can solve it are super smart, which I believe because I can't seem to figure it out and my brother has a 4.2 gpa and he can solve it so I think there's a correlation there. My brother said it's just pure memorization of formulas and patterns that you look for. He can solve the cube in about a minute, I've seen him do it and the world record is about 20 seconds. My brother said that there are robots that can solve the rubix cube, which is pretty neat. The man who invented the rubix cube, Erno Rubic, says, "the Cube is an imitation of life itself --or even an improvement on life. The problems of puzzles are very near the problems of life, our whole life is solving puzzles. If you are hungry, you have to find something to eat. But everyday problems are very mixed--they're not clear. The Cube's problem depends just on you. You can solve it independently. But to find happiness in life, you're not independent. That's the only big difference." I like this quote because he relates the cube to real life and it's true that our whole world is about solving problems. I have not solved the rubix cube, I think fairly few people in the world have; but I look forward to (hopefully) learning one day. Maybe I'll ask my brother to teach me sometime soon.

No comments: