Monday, May 26, 2008

memorial day.. what is it?

Today is memorial day, and we have the day off school :). I know memorial day is a day to celebrate the veterans who have died in wars they have fought for for our country, but thats pretty much all I know. So I researched the holiday and this is what I found..

It's on the last Monday of May.
It's formerly known as Decoration Day,
First made to honor soldiers of the American Civil war, it was expanded after World War 1 to include casualties of any war or military action.
A lot of people observe this holiday by visiting cemetaries.
In addition to remembrance, Memorial Day is also used as a time for picinics, barbecues, family gatherings, and sport events.
Americans also view Memorial Day as the unofficial beginning of summer.
Many Americans use Memorial Day to also honor any family members who have died, not just servicemen.
There are many stories as to its actual beginnings, with over two dozen cities and towns laying claim to being the birthplace of Memorial Day.

I guess in my opinion, Memorial day is a day to recognize those who have been in our lives and passed away. It's usually a beautiful sunny day to spend time with the people you love and go to cemetaries and put flowers on their grave. I think it's a great holiday.

No comments: