Thursday, March 20, 2008

continuing research information

Tanning is something almost everyone knows about, so it's pretty easy to find imformation for my research paper. I found a lot of websites that have to deal with both sides of tanning, whether you should or shouldn't do it. The research I found was pretty authorative, one source I found was from the Skin Cancer Foundation. The people who write on this website are medical doctors and dermatologists. They are highly educated so I think they know what they're saying. The authors purpose it to explain the downsides of tanning and kind-of persuading that tanning salons should be banned. This source is pretty general. It doesn't get into the nitty gritty details. It summarizes what is bad about tanning and gives us the true facts. From reading this source, I learned the name of the "cancerous/bad cells." Tanning is a 2 billion dollar industry in the United States and there are 25,000 salons in America. Tanning bed use is increasing and people who visit salons 10 times or more a year are 7 times more likely to get melanoma. Medical experts are thinking about banning salons, which I never thought they could do. Students in my class gave me comments on my topic and they asked me to research why people tan even though they know the risks. One person said they know someone who tans but skin cancer runs in their family! Another commenter said I should talk about both outdoor tanning and indoor because the risk is just about the same.
Some good questions that my peers have came up with are...
-what is the youngest age you're allowed to go tanning? oldest?
-does tanning inspire the growth of any other cancer?
-what are other methods for getting a tan? do they work just as well?
-do most people pay for it themselves? Or do their parents pay/support their tanning?
-why do people ignore the risks of tanning?
-are their benefits to tanning?
-do tanning salons do anything to warn customers of risk?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.tanningtruth.com/
I thought this link may be of interest to you.

I have worked in the tanning industry for almost 10 years. I just wished that there could be an honest two-sided argument instead of just having a group of doctors bashing the tanning industry.

The key with tanning (both indoors and outdoors), as with everything, is moderation. UV light from a tanning lamp or from the sun are both very effective in producing Vitamin D. Any doctor will tell you how crucial Vitamin D is to your health. Unfortunately, they will not tell you that the best way to get it is controlled, moderate UV light.

Furthermore, Melanoma is not directly linked to UV light. Here is a little food for thought... I have known three different people--all very close to me--who have had Melanoma. Not one of the three people had ever used a tanning unit more than once or twice in their lifetime. As a matter of fact, one of them is an avid sunblock wearer.

I just encourage everyone to do the research for themselves before forming an opiniion. And remember, everything is best in moderation.