Monday, May 26, 2008

deadly memorial day weekend


Last night when I was hanging out with my friends I got a phone call from my mom around 10:15 telling me to get my butt home because their was a big storm coming through. I didnt believe her, I figured she just didnt want me out late doing who knows what. So I drove home, and my friends stayed behind. It was only sprinkling when I left, but the winds picked up and it turned into a huge storm with the sirens going off. My friends were stuck at my friend Trevors house and they were freaking out. All I can say is I'm glad I left and listened to my mom. My family and I hung out in the basement watching the news until 11 or so and then I went to bed happy that the tornado didnt hit us. This morning I was reading the newspaper and it said that 8 people died yesterday from the storm. I guess it didn't only hit Iowa because my aunt called from Minnesota and said her and her friend were out shopping when it hit and they had to cover in a dressing room. And my aunts friend has hail damage all over her car, which would really suck. As I was reading the paper, I saw pictures of peoples houses blown off, with only the floor remaining. I've been in storms before but none of my family or relatives has ever been hurt and i'm very lucky to say that.

No comments: